There is a streaming version of this application available at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.samicemalone.stream.client.android.vlcremote
There is an install guide available at http://samicemalone.co.uk/remote-for-vlc/install.html.
You can also find a list of FAQ's at http://samicemalone.co.uk/remote-for-vlc/faq.html.
This application is a fork of the application "Remote for VLC" by Peter Baldwin (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.peterbaldwin.client.android.vlcremote).
The source code for this application can be found on GitHub (https://github.com/samicemalone/android-vlc-remote). See the repository for licensing information.
If you are using VLC 2.0.x version, you may need to edit your VLC ".hosts" file. (Windows default location: C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\http\.hosts).
If you are using VLC 2.1 or VLC 2.2.0 nightlies, you will need to set a default password for the Web interface (Tools -> Preferences -> "All" checkbox -> Interface -> Main interfaces -> Lua)
This app should be compatible with AceStream since it is a fork of VLC. If using VLC and AceStream simultaneously, remember to change the port of the HTTP server.
* Added library support for viewing multiple directories under one directory
(via context menu). This is similar to Windows Libraries.
* Fixed crashing occasionally when trying restore the search query
* Added "What's New" dialog for displaying changelog on app update
* Updated install guide and FAQ's
* Fix force close when entering an invalid preset value
* Added playlist search
* Change app name to "Remote for VLC (Fork)" due to trademarked name "VLC Remote"
* Fix handling of passwords containing # or ;
* Removed broken stream context menu item
* Fixed crash due to logging
* Added preference for playback controls in the notification drawer
* Updated widget to use the same style views as the notification
* Added album art to widget/notification
* Added next/previous chapter buttons for large enough screens (VLC 2.0+)
* Can now choose the action bar buttons in Settings -> Interface Settings.
* Added presets for toggling audio/subtitle delays
* Can now give servers a nickname to display instead of ip/hostname:port
* Can now display the current server as a subtitle in the action bar
* Fixed some crashes/hidden views on orientation change
* Added swipeable tabs (ViewPager) for phone layouts
* Hide DVD preferences now takes effect without restarting the app
* The volume fragment is now hidden if there is not enough space in the UI.
Volume can still be adjusted with the hardware volume keys
* Fixed widget size
* Updated Spanish translations
* Restored "Remove from playlist"
* Library files and directories are now sorted case insensitively
* Fixed app crash under certain circumstances
* Added action bar item when browsing library to change the text size
* Fixed force close when scanning for servers in some situations
* Added preference for custom seek times
* Fixed some actions not working after changing server
* Display bottom action bar to smaller screens for cropping, subtitle track, fullscreen, audio track and aspect ratio.
* Playlist loading progress
* Detect media information from the filename
* Edit server, test server, HTTP auth servers
* Fix browsing titles and parent directories
* Added preference to hide the DVD tab for smaller screens
* Added preference to display directories sorted before files.
* Added preference to detect media information for each item in the playlist